Well, there is actually no need for an introduction regarding a volleyball match. The game is itself super exciting and definitely needs a great team spirit to win.
Introduced in 1895 in America, this game is actually a mixture of basketball and tennis.
In a volleyball match, each team needs to have six players. Each team tries to ground the ball on the opponent’s court and thus gain points to win.
Of course, there is a set of rules and regulations for the players. Those who regularly watch so many volleyball matches know how exciting the game is.
But, do you know what makes the game more interesting? A libero. But, now the question is: what does the libero do in volleyball? If you have recently started watching volleyball matches, you can notice a player on each team wearing a different jersey.
They are the liberos in the match. But, what is the libero in volleyball?
Let’s find out.
What Does The Libero Do In Volleyball?
So, when you see a libero in a volleyball team put on a different jersey, you might be wondering: why is there a libero in volleyball? This special position started in the year 1999.
This is a challenging position in a volleyball match. This position was included in the match to add make the game more exciting.
Now, what does the libero do in volleyball? Actually, the player who is a libero acts as the defensive part during a volleyball match. With the utmost defensive skill, a libero is continuously motivating the team members to cheer them up.
A libero has to protect the court area in which he was playing. Sometimes defense is the only option left in a volleyball match. You have to get the help of a libero in this situation.
Next, a libero has to pass the ball to the right player on his team. This is a very special skill that a libero must have in him.
Last but not the least, a libero must be aware of how to set the volleyball rightly for his team members. A libero should be ready for this situation.
The Most Confusing Aspects Of Using A Libero
- You can’t allow a libero to start the match. You can only have your libero into the court after the referee checks the lineup.
- Instead of being the back row players, a libero will be able to attach the volleyball.
- A libero is a volleyball team can serve in only one row.
- Liberos are considered the back-up setters in many volleyball matches.
Libero Volleyball Positions
Here are some of the libero volleyball positions that are usually applied in a volleyball match.
- A libero has to play in a position so that he can defend, pass, and set the ball for his team members.
- A libero has to have leadership qualities.
- A libero should act as a spark plug for the team members.
- He needs to hustle with opponent members to a base position. After that, he should go through a play and get back to his defense state. This should be done continuously.
How Many Liberos Can A Team Have?
Now, let’s come to a basic question: how many liberos can a team have? According to the rules and the regulations of the game, a volleyball team has 2 liberos.
But, they can use only one libero during the match is going on.
Why Is There A Libero In Volleyball?
A libero’s job is to make the volleyball match more exciting. He has to defend the court, pass and set the ball for his teammates during a volleyball match.
Slightly More Complicated Libero Rules And Tendencies
- You do not need a libero for the substitution out of the volleyball match.
- When the total substitution limit is counted, the libero subs are not considered.
- A player who is a libero in a volleyball match switches the middle blocker state in case the player goes to the back row. But, as a libero, you should not rotate to the front row.
- Liberos are placed in such a position where they will be able to pass the hits, protecting the ball from the opposite team.
How To Use A Libero
Many volleyball teams use their libero in zone 5. A player who is a libero in a volleyball match switches the middle blocker state in case the player goes to the back row. But, as a libero, you should not rotate to the front row.
When you place a libero in the front row, they can’t use a pass with an overhead finger.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is a libero a good position in volleyball?
Of course, a libero is a good position in a volleyball match. The player who acts as a libero in a volleyball match should be skilled with so many gaming qualities.
He has to have the best ball-handling skills in the game. He is the person who acts as a defense, passing and setting the ball in a volleyball match.
2. What is the weakest position in volleyball?
Well, there is hardly any weakest position in a volleyball match. The main reason for this is that during a match, a volleyball team can’t afford any mistake from any single player.
But, if there is any player who seems to be weak in a volleyball team, he is selected as a blocker. So, yes, we can consider the blocker as a weak position in a volleyball game.
3. What is the hardest volleyball position?
There are many positions in a volleyball match that can be said the hardest positions. For example, a libero is a very risky position as the player has to act as the defense, passing and setting the ball for the other players.
Also, according to many volleyball lovers, the middle blocker is one of the hardest positions in a volleyball match.
4. When did libero start in volleyball?
The position of libero in a volleyball match started in the year 1999. This is a challenging position in a volleyball match. This position was included in the match to add make the game more exciting.
5. Why does libero wear different colors?
There are some special rules and regulations set for the player who is in the libero position. So, they need to put on a different jersey during the match.
When a libero wears a different color jersey, the referee will be able to enforce the rules upon them. However, sometimes the same rules and regulations can’t be applied to the liberos.
Through the replacement process, they can switch during the match.
So, after knowing everything about the liberos, many people may want to show their interest in this special position.
And, if you are preparing to get a chance on the volleyball team, this guide will be helpful for you a lot. All the best!
Also Read: Why Is Fighting Allowed In Hockey